Thursday, October 25, 2012

SECOND LIFE






Virtual world  is  really entertaining and before being introduced to Second Life during our Technology Class I was a little familiar with it. However I had n’t  thought of using this technological tool at EFL classes with others such as gaming, blogging and so on. Seems  interesting.  Form a group, include your learners  into it and simply enjoy teaching English. During our class discussions we came up with really interesting ideas how to integrate SL in EFL classes. Most  of all I liked the idea of interacting with different communities all over the world and also having  classes  in  different settings such as : 


                                                                                  OR


BUT NOT ALL THE TIME 


                     
                                                                              OR





The learners can learn words by touching them, watching them and using them. I was personally   very exited about opening my account and using the Second Life chance to communicate and create my Second World. I still encourage my peers to form a group together and build our lives. However my  view is optimistic from the point of view of a student. But I would hardly risk integrating my own students into the  SL as a teacher. First of all it’s  public-access  and  as  mentioned in Welche’s article the designer s don’t know what you’re doing there as they want  you  to be creative http://moodle.aua.am/file.php/28/Course_Materials/Virtual_World_/VirtualWorlds_InterviewWelch_2008.pdf  
In the same way teachers are not  safe as students can go beyond the limits of the class requirements.  On the other hand,  I consider it useless to forbid pupils to go to certain places and not to do things which they think are more entertaining.It’s like  discouraging your own learners to be creative. So, I will fail to have successful virtual classes because  I lack risk management mentioned in Cinthia M. Calongne’s article as  one of the features  leading to successful  virtual classes . http://moodle.aua.am/file.php/28/Course_Materials/Virtual_World_/VirtualWorlds_Calogne_2008.pdf


Sources of pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment