Sunday, November 6, 2011

EMOTIONS!!!


 I've listened to Dr Phillippe Goldin's podcast where he is speaking about emotions,their origin and types.
He started with history. Darwin said that animals need emotions to survive, so do people.They need fear as a trigger to escape predators and aggression to defend their territory. So emotions are maintained from our animal past.People rely on emotions to make complex decisions.
Emotions help to direct our attention, they help to enhance our memory,it helps to organize our behaviour and our orientation towards other people,It helps to drive social approach within social avoidance.Emotions help to develop moral and ethical behaviour.When emotions function well -they bring  to  an adaptive system, when emotions fail to function and are disregulated they can bring to tragedy. 
 There are different classes of emotion and the six basic or primary ones are:happiness, surprise, fear, sadness, disgust, anger.
The sense of well-being is contrasted to malaise,sense of calmness to tension and pain to pleasure.
There are also social emotions or secondary  that deal with social interactions:embarrassment, jealousy, guilt, shame, pride.

I'm Ashamed

I'm Disgusted

I'm Embarrassed


I'm Frightened

I'm Guilty

I'm Happy



I'm proud
I'm Sad

I'm Surprised


I'm Angry

Emotions are obviously expressed.There are more than 600 words in English to describe different emotions,42 muscles in our faces to express emotions, The identification of different facial expressions is cross cultural.
Emotions are an important source of information and feedback that help to direct our behaviour and social interactions.Emotions are really contributing to cognitive processes, to decision making.Emotions can go from normal degree to the extreme.As e.g from sadness to depression,from anger to unprovoked aggression, pleasure can lead to addiction,Fear can become an anxiety, phobia, panic.And worry, being out of control can turn to anxiety disorder.

This is a useful link to find emotion words there!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The visuals are really very well-chosen. The topic is interesting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete