Saturday, December 8, 2012

Final Reflection

The course of New Technologies in TEFl was one of the most overloaded courses for me. One huge technology was following the other without giving any time to breathe. When I imagine the amount of information that I managed to get during this time I feel confident. Truly speaking, I didn’t like to get information through readings. I mostly preferred the practical part of it, when we were applying the technologies in groups in class or individually  at home. Or at least I liked to watch tutorials due to which I could use the time more efficiently. Also, class discussions and blog posts contributed to the better understanding of the material because they served as a source of revision of the material and a means to reflect on the technologies trying to integrate them in the Armenian TEFL environment.
While having all the above mentioned sources of information at my disposal I managed to learn some specific skills such as: 
  • making Igoogle my home page
  • add and use RSS subscriptions
  • linking  RSS to igoogle
  • connecting twitter to the cellphone
  • creating an audio episode and posting it to the class podcast by installing Audacity and Lame encode to save audio in mp3
  • using Wiki
  • creating a digital story(moviemaker, powerpoint)
  • creating video footage 
  • creating  an account in Second life and using it
  • adding blocks in the Sandbox
  • using animoto 
  • creating games with special apps
  • creating a Googledoc
Not all the above mentioned skills proved to be suitable to use in the Armenian TEFL environment or at least I wasn't eager to do it both as a student and as a teacher. First of them was second life
and another connecting cellphones to twitter. Anyway I don't exclude using them in future.
Also, I failed to create any game. It seemed rather difficult.
But on the other hand there were such skills that I have managed to apply successfully in my learning and teaching processes. As a student I use Igoogle as my homepage, I have lots of subscriptions to RSS, I have created digital stories and as a teacher I used animoto, powerpoint,  Google doc and many others. 
The course totally changed my profile. Before this course I tended to avoid typing but now  I started to avoid writing. No lesson is conducted without at least one technology now. And computer doesn't make me so tired as before. Before this course I was trying to keep computer away from my children considering it to be dangerous for their health but now I encourage them to use it to contribute to their creativity and desire to make explorations in this Flat World.  

No comments:

Post a Comment