Sunday, November 18, 2012

PLE and VLE



PLE and VLE



After the first quarter at AUA from time to time I visit my previous courses on Moodle both to review some materials  and also to reassure myself that I still have an access there. Also, I have always wondered whether or not it would be possible to go there after the graduation and also I was curious about the amount of price AUA has invested on it. Truly speaking I had decided to ask my instructor one day but I didn’t dare to. Fortunately the technology  class on Open Source Softwares and Open Educational Resources  made everything clear for me. So I found out that “Moodle is an Open Source Course Management Software designed to support and enable instructors to create online courses. It is available for free on the Web and  that anyone can download and install it”.
Retrieved from
Moodle is really a great educational support as it can be used to teach online or hybrid classes. The answer of my second question whether it would be possible to go there after the graduation came with the class on VLE/LMSs and PLE. Listening to the explanation given by  Stephen Downs

I found out that Moodle is a VLE/LMS and that if you have no account this means you can’t have any access. And as compared to PLE to which  you can trust your data  and where you have a direct access VLE becomes less trustworthy for Stephen Downs.

 However, VLEs or LMSs as for me could surely be  valuable in the Armenian educational environment.Instructors could use it for multiple purposes. They simply have to download and install it for free, spend some time on exploring it like our class did in  Sandbox for TE 307" and you will give your students an opportunity to  have online discussions or use wikis and blog tools,they will be provided with quizzes, self-tests. These and many other advantages of the VLE are worth taking it for granted being sure that it will meet our teaching purposes.

Pictures taken from:


No comments:

Post a Comment